What mattress is right for me?
Talk about a monster of a question. These days, the stress of mattress shopping is on par with buying a car or a house. There’s so much to consider.
If the thought of buying a new mattress fills you with dread, don’t worry. You’re not alone. So before your blood pressure spikes, take a deep breath and keep reading. We’re here to help you through this.
A mattress needs to be tailored to the individual using it. Our bodies come in all shapes and sizes, just like our sleeping habits. So the type of mattress your body requires depends on a number of factors.
This makes one-size-fits-all mattresses unrealistic.
They’re similar to one-size-fits-all clothing. Just because a t-shirt will fit on every body type doesn’t mean it’s going to make everyone who wears it feel good. You want your clothes to fit well and give you confidence. Sizes and styles exist for a reason; everyone knows this! So why are we so confused by the concept when it comes to our sleep?
Shoppers who visit brick-and-mortar stores to test mattresses are less concerning to us than those who try and order online. Making the effort to lay on a mattress before buying is pretty darn crucial to knowing whether or not you’re going to get a good night’s sleep. But even then, people don’t always know what they need out of their sleep system. Even if a mattress feels like a good fit, it might not be right for you.
Here are some things to consider when purchasing a new mattress:
– How long do you want your mattress to last? The industry standard dictates mattresses should be replaced every 3-5 years, respectively. We think this timeline is much too short. A good two-sided flippable mattress should last at least 10-12 years with regular rotation and flipping. Depending on the materials, it could last a lot longer.
– How much should you spend? This is one of the primary considerations for most customers. A mattress is a big investment; you’ll keep it for years and use it everyday. What is your comfort worth to you?
– What level of firmness do I need? This can be a tough question to answer. It’s not always about what feels comfortable at first. Your preferred sleeping position is a big factor in determining how firm of a mattress you need.
– What if I have chemical sensitivities? Did you know that the majority of mattresses contain chemical flame retardants to comply with government standards? Some people are really sensitive to these chemicals, and there are alternatives on the market.
– Will I sleep hot in this mattress? The last thing you want is to pay a lot of money for a heat trap. Mattresses with a lot of memory foam, gel-foam, and/or poly foam tend to sleep hotter. Products that contain wool, cotton, and latex tend to sleep cooler.
If you’re wanting to buy online…
If you want to purchase online, arm yourself with the right tools to increase your chances of success. If you still have questions, we encourage you to visit our blog page. Or, if you’d like to speak with us in person, we host a free “how to shop for a mattress” class every Saturday at 9:30 am. And, of course, you can always contact us or drop by the store. We’re open seven days a week, year round.