The Vispring story begins in 1899 with British engineer, James Marshall. When his wife was taken ill in Canada, James hand-made her a supportive mattress with coiled springs wrapped in muslin. It was a revelation in comfort. But it wasn’t until 1901 that the revolutionary design came to Britain. Brought over by John Nolon and Frederick James, the pair decided to produce the mattress commercially and incorporated the Marshall Sanitary Mattress Company in 1901. In 1911, ocean liners were the way to travel. And it was here that Vispring (as they were now known) found their first major orders. The bespoke comfort of a Vispring mattress fitted perfectly in the opulent cabins and suites of the world’s finest ships like the Titanic and Olympic. As the years went by, Vispring expert bed makers started to experiment with new mattress fillings. They introduced more natural materials like horsehair, pure cotton, and Shetland wool, as well as luxury finishes like silk and cashmere. In 1932, Vispring also created the world’s first pocket-sprung divan – that is known as the ultimate sleeping experience. After decades of innovation and countless bespoke mattresses, Vispring was given the Queen’s Award for Enterprise in 2012. The award honors any business that has excelled in the fields of international trade, innovation for sustainable development.
Every Vispring bed is carefully handmade and can last a lifetime with a little maintenance.
Here are a few tips to help keep your mattress and divan in tip top condition for years to come:
- Don’t bend or roll your mattress as it can damage the springs (and invalidates your 30 year guarantee). Keep your mattress laid flat and supported at all times.
- Try to avoid sitting on the edge of your bed as it puts pressure on the edge springs and could break the border stitching.
- By occasionally turning your mattress you can extend its life even further.
- Don’t use a Vispring mattress on a base with slats more than 7.5cm apart (3”). If you are using a slatted base, we’d recommend using a mattress pad to minimise wear.
- Only put your mattress in a plastic bag when moving, do not use your mattress with a plastic bag between the mattress and/or divan, as it can cause damage through condensation.
View Vispring's full Product Care Guide here.
Vispring offers a comfort promise and 30 year guarantee. View full terms and conditions here.